<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, May 28, 2004 AD

All this talk about food's making me hungry

Please forgive the flippant title, but one reason I've ended up posting so much about the Lord's Supper recently is that it is months since I last received the Lord's Supper (or even "the Lord's Supper", the remembrance meal without Words of Institution practised at our last church).

Even with my previous (Reformed) understanding of the Supper, that would have been pretty hard going. Now that I know more fully what I'm missing out on, it's something approaching agony. There is a reason why I singled out the line, "I am repining for this living fountain", in my post about the Seamus Heaney poem last week.

I think our pastor would now admit us to the Table more or less immediately, but the decision rests with the elders, who like people to complete the membership class first (after all, can't have people coming to the Lord's Table who don't know the potted history of Lutheranism in the UK, or who are hazy on the polity of the ELCE, can we?). Still, I'm sure this means we'll appreciate it all the more once we are admitted.