<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, September 15, 2004 AD

A dead dog is better than a living lion

I'm not a regular reader of Andrew Sullivan's blog, but I loved this heart-rending John Updike poem, posted by Sullivan in memory of a beagle he rescued, found a home for, and who has recently died. Warning: do not read if you love dogs, are feeling emotionally vulnerable, and are in a location where breaking down in floods of tears would be embarrassing (sitting here at my desk in an open-plan office, my lower lip was getting chewed quite vigorously in places as I read).

It called to mind Byron's epitaph to his dog, Boatswain:

Near this spot
Are deposited the Remains of one
Who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
And all the Virtues of Man without his Vices.
This Praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
If inscribed over human ashes,
Is but a just tribute to the Memory of
BOATSWAIN, a Dog,
Who was born at Newfoundland, May, 1803,
And died at Newstead Abbey, Nov. 18, 1808.

What stands out is the capital "D" in the words "Boatswain, a Dog", which brings out the dignity, solemnity and nobility of the word - and the animal. Because they're friendly and sociable, and willing to make fools of themselves out of their love for us, it's so easy to trivialise dogs, and so unfair.

Also from Andrew Sullivan: having been experiencing a mild case of "blogger's block" since returning from holiday last week, it was encouraging to see that I'm in good company.