Thursday, January 13, 2005 AD
Under the Hammer
I've just put in my order for the new edition of Bo Giertz's book The Hammer of God, on which I blogged on a number of occasions last year (1 | 2 | 3).
This edition includes the final chapter, "In the Place of Sinners", never before published in English (it'll be interesting to try to work out why...), as well as introductory notes that provide "historical and theological background to deepen the reader's understanding of the stories", and an introductory essay on "Bo Giertz: The Atheist Who Became a Bishop" (actually, that happens all too often today: but I'm guessing the point here is that he had ceased to be an atheist by the time he was consecrated ;-) ).
For those who haven't come across The Hammer of God before, it is essential reading for anyone wanting to get to the heart of true Christianity: a gripping and frequently moving account of how three pastors in different eras (early-19th century, late-19th century, mid-20th century) are brought from whichever version of pietism and/or theological liberalism is then in fashion, to the pure gospel of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Or, as the blurb puts it:
But the description of the new edition waters down the original still further:
But hey-ho, I guess that's what happens when you entrust a classic of confessional Lutheran literature to "the publishing ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America". And the novel itself is, I'm sure, as wonderful as ever. I mean, how can you argue with a book whose chapter headings are as follows (nothing bland or anaemic here):
Finally, my acquisition of the new edition means I have a copy of the old one going spare. If anyone would like this copy, please email me with your address (UK only, please!) and I'll pop it in the post for you. First come, first served...
This edition includes the final chapter, "In the Place of Sinners", never before published in English (it'll be interesting to try to work out why...), as well as introductory notes that provide "historical and theological background to deepen the reader's understanding of the stories", and an introductory essay on "Bo Giertz: The Atheist Who Became a Bishop" (actually, that happens all too often today: but I'm guessing the point here is that he had ceased to be an atheist by the time he was consecrated ;-) ).
For those who haven't come across The Hammer of God before, it is essential reading for anyone wanting to get to the heart of true Christianity: a gripping and frequently moving account of how three pastors in different eras (early-19th century, late-19th century, mid-20th century) are brought from whichever version of pietism and/or theological liberalism is then in fashion, to the pure gospel of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Or, as the blurb puts it:
What are the outward manifestations of an inspired faith? Is it possible to be truly saved and still be constantly aware of the presence of sin? May a minister of God's Word experience the same human frailties that trouble his parishioners?Well actually, that's the blurb from the old edition. All good stuff, though the reference to "permitting the Holy Spirit to work" sits a little uncomfortably with the novel's theme of people's illusions of self-righteousness and personal autonomy being smashed to pieces against their will.
Here is a powerful novel on the theme of spiritual regeneration. Three Swedish pastors learn the necessity of relying on God's grace and promises the hard way—through failing in their pastoral duties, through public humiliation, through self-doubt, through an inability to accept God's promise of forgiveness and sonship in their own lives, and through divisions and quarreling among their parishioners.
Ultimately, each rejects the temptations of self-serving pride and over-reliance on works and permits the Holy Spirit to work through him for the glory of God and the continued ministry of the gospel.
But the description of the new edition waters down the original still further:
In this bestselling novel, three pastors learn the necessity of relying on God's grace. They fall short of their pastoral duties through public humiliation, self-doubt, inability to accept God's promises in their own lives, and divisions and quarreling among their parishioners. Ultimately each man rejects temptations and permits the Holy Spirit to work through him.Apart from being one of the least enticing book descriptions I've ever come across - I'm still trying decide whether "bland" or "anaemic" is le mot juste :-) - this makes it sound like the novel is about these men embracing, rather than turning away from, today's fashionable version of pietism: that vague, semi-charismatic ("charismatish"?) Christianity which - while stopping short of the more "extreme" Pentecostal manifestations - is very fond of talk about "letting the Holy Spirit move in our lives". Whereas the three pastors in this book find true life and freedom only when they turn away from that sort of individualistic pietism, back to the pure Gospel as encountered in the church's ministry of Word and Sacrament.
But hey-ho, I guess that's what happens when you entrust a classic of confessional Lutheran literature to "the publishing ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America". And the novel itself is, I'm sure, as wonderful as ever. I mean, how can you argue with a book whose chapter headings are as follows (nothing bland or anaemic here):
I. The Hammer of GodA study guide to the novel can be found on the CTS Fort Wayne website, here.II. Jesus Only
- The Call
- Awakened by the Law
- Poverty of Spirit and the Light of the Gospel
III. On This Rock
- Three Days before Christmas
- Springtime in March
- Transfiguration Day
- New Life
- A Heart of Stone and a Rock of Salvation
- In the Place of Sinners
Finally, my acquisition of the new edition means I have a copy of the old one going spare. If anyone would like this copy, please email me with your address (UK only, please!) and I'll pop it in the post for you. First come, first served...



