Friday, April 08, 2005 AD
Back on the Wittenberg Trail
Rick Ritchie's classic essay, "A Presbyterian on the Wittenberg Trail: God's Last Will and Testament", previously to be found on the old version of the Modern Reformation site, has now been republished on Old Solar.
I remember reading this when I was taking my first tentative steps along that same Trail (without even realising it myself at that point), and the opening lines now carry more resonance for me than ever:
I remember reading this when I was taking my first tentative steps along that same Trail (without even realising it myself at that point), and the opening lines now carry more resonance for me than ever:
I never would have guessed that I would end up as an adult convert to Lutheranism. And I further would not have imagined how central the doctrine of the Lord's Supper would be to my conversion.Just substitute "conservative evangelical Anglican" for "Presbyterian" and that is 100% my own experience too. I strongly encourage everyone to read the whole thing.
My conception of denominations was typically evangelical. My understanding of Lutheranism was very vague. I respected the Lutheran church as the church of the Reformation, but I thought that my Presbyterian church had probably reformed things a little more completely.



