Monday, November 28, 2005 AD
This post is copy-protected
I've not been totally idle during this blog's recent quiescent period: as reported on the IP Kat blog, I've had an article published in this month's Copyright World, on digital rights management and anti-circumvention technology.The article includes an attempt to undermine the system from the inside, comrades, by devoting a fair proportion of the article to the objections to DRM and the draconian legal protections that have been given to it, particularly in the US. Sadly, the copy deadline came too soon for me to include a reference to the Sony rootkit debacle, which has vindicated many of the concerns outlined in the article.
This included a name-check for the fine folks at the Electronic Frontier Foundation, whose explanation of why the Digital Millennium Copyright Act is t4h suxx0r (I paraphrase) proved very useful in writing that part of the article. The EFF's DRM page also has some good material.
The site is subscription only, but you should be able to access the article (entitled "Chipping away"; clever wording, I know - cheers ;-)) by signing up for a free two-week trial. The copyright in the article has been assigned to Copyright World, and belonged to my employer in the first place, so sadly it is quite out of the question for me to email a copy to anyone who requests a copy in the comments to this post, quite out of the question...



