<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, January 08, 2006 AD

Epiphany

The Adoration of the Kings, by Pieter Bruegel the Elder, 1564. Click here to see large version of this image.
For Epiphany Sunday this morning, we had a special service of lessons and carols. This included seven readings from Isaiah, Matthew and Luke, and I found the headings given for each reading quite illuminating:
  1. Isaiah 60:1-6: The Epiphany is foretold.

  2. Matthew 2:1-12: A star makes the Epiphany known.

  3. Matthew 2:13-18: An attempt to prevent the Epiphany.

  4. Matthew 2:19-23: The Epiphany is ensured.

  5. Luke 2:21-32: I have seen the Epiphany.

  6. Luke 2:33-40: Epiphany touches the hearts of many.

  7. Luke 2:41-52: They saw the Epiphany and were astonished.
Some very apposite responsive sentences, too:
P: The Lord is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear?

C: The Lord is the stronghold of my life - of whom should I be afraid?

P: Hear my voice when I call, O Lord;

C: be merciful to me and answer me. I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.