Sunday, December 24, 2006 AD
"It's Chri-i-i-i-i-i-i-stma-a-a-a-as!!!"
Does your granny always tell ya' that the old songs are the best?So here it is (nearly) Merry Christmas, and I hope everybody's having too much fun to read blog posts. But hey, I'm not going to let that stop me, whatever Umberto Eco might say. So here's some very non-Slade-esque Christmas music to pass the time.
Then she's up and rock 'n' rollin' with the rest...
Now, I may not get the opportunity to follow Thomas' fervent recommendations and watch A Charlie Brown Christmas this year, but I managed the next-best thing: reading The Gospel According To Peanuts while listening to one of my latest eMusic downloads: Vince Guaraldi's 1965 soundtrack album to the film. I'm not normally a jazz fan at all, but I love it.
Other eMusic Christmas downloads (I had a productive morning yesterday):
- Bruce Cockburn's Christmas. Bruce Cockburn is one of my big personal discoveries in 2006 (a good year for finding "new to me" music), after serendipitously chancing upon a couple of his CDs in a charity shop a couple of months ago. His Christmas album is superb, with highlights including the upbeat "Early on one Christmas morn" and gorgeous settings of "O Little Town of Bethlehem" and It Came Upon the Midnight Clear. If you download only one album this Christmas, etc, etc.
- "Slowcore" band Low's festive album, also (imaginatively) called Christmas. Check out the opening track, Just Like Christmas, and also the only original song off the album, If You Were Born Today.
Labels: bruce cockburn, christmas, emusic, music, peanuts



