Tuesday, August 10, 2004 AD
Do you love me like you used to?
A sad fact widely knownFound myself listening to The Smiths last night, for the first time in ages. I'd forgotten just how good they are - far better than is suggested by their image as simply "bedsit miserabilists" for tortured adolescents who just need to get out more, for heaven's sake. Though having been - for rather longer than I care to admit - a tortured adolescent who just needed to get out more, for heaven's sake, it was probably scarcely any surprise that I enjoyed them so much.
The most impassionate song
To a lonely soul
Is so easily outgrown...
But don’t forget the songsWhat struck me last night was what a potent combination Morrissey and Johnny Marr were. Morrissey's lyrics could all too easily have tipped over into merely irritating/depressing maudlin self-pity; Johnny Marr's music could easily have been a little too saccharine-sweet. Both men's solo careers have arguably suffered from these respective traits at times. But put them together, and Marr's music tempers Morrissey's gloom, and Morrissey's lyrics give Marr's music some much-needed "edge" (not least on a song like There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, probably the best Smiths song of all).
That made you cry
And the songs that saved your life
Yes, you’re older now
And you’re a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you...
I’m here with the causeI do, Mozza, I do.
I’m holding the torch
In the corner of your room
Can you hear me?
And when you’re dancing and laughing
And finally living
Hear my voice in your head
And think of me kindly...
(Lyrics taken from Rubber Ring, from The World Won't Listen)



