<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, February 01, 2005 AD

Oh... foobar

Erk. Slightly embarrassing moment this lunchtime. I was trying to set up a USB key with Flash Linux, from a set-up CD.

Had to repartition the USB key. The instructions warned of the dangers of accidentally erasing your hard drive instead of the USB key. "Like I'm about to do that," I scoffed.

You can probably see which way this is headed, can't you?

Right, let's just delete the existing partition, write that and ... hang on, why does this 256MB USB key appear to have 40GB of free space on it now? Oh no oh no oh no.

Shamefacedly dragged myself over to the IT department to confess my sin. Yes, I was stupid enough to do this at work (having read the firm's IT policy very carefully, I believe myself to have been in the clear - expect an amended version of the policy to appear quite quickly now...).

In fact, they were very relaxed about it, since my PC was on a standard image that can be restored very easily. So my usual PC is being un-foobarred ("fouled up beyond all recognition", to give the polite version) as we speak, and the only lasting damage is to my self-esteem...