<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 AD

One Word, two answers

My mild-mannered alter-ego J0hn H4lt0n has a new article up at Old Solar, entitled "Why do you want to know?": God's two answers to every question.

The article was prompted by some of the talks at the London Men's Convention on Saturday, on "Biblical Answers to Tough Questions" (or was it "Tough Answers to Biblical Questions"? Either way...). I'm also hoping to post something before too long based on the "brilliant" John Stott address to which I refer in the article, which was the highlight of a generally worthwhile and interesting day.

I enjoyed the Convention much more than last year. This is partly because we were sat some way further back from the band (so the noise didn't make my ears bleed this time) and at right-angles to them (so I didn't need to get distracted/irritated by the sight of the band really digging that funky groove, man; *sigh*). But mainly it's because the overall standard of the talks was a lot higher (though, as my OS article points out, we still tended to get either Gospel, or Law, on any given topic, rather than a "proper distinction" of the two).

(Note for US readers for whom the words "London Men's Convention" conjures up images of a UK version of Promise Keepers: the LMC has always focussed almost entirely on Bible teaching from a conservative evangelical perspective, along with encouraging "men's ministry" in local churches, rather than being a revivalistic "male bonding" exercise. This distinction is hopefully pretty clear from the LMC's website.)

The day was also marked by the remarkable occurrence of a Lutheran being outdrunk by a Baptist. I met up with a group from our previous church for lunch, and one of that number managed to get through two pints of London Pride (that's a beer, by the way, not a campaigning group for gay rights) in the alloted interval, while I only managed one-plus-a-quick-half. No doubt this shameful admission on my part will get me thrown off the Purpose Driven Drinking blog. *double sigh*