<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, December 30, 2006 AD

A dozen discoveries

One of the greatest pleasures of 2006 has been discovering probably more new music than in any year since I left university. This is largely (though not entirely) thanks to Emusic. I signed up to this service a few months ago, and after a shaky start (during a couple of months I downloaded nothing at all) I've downloaded around 37 albums, plus various odd tracks here and there (some considerably odder than others...).

Here's a top 12 artists that I've discovered over the past twelve months (in alphabetical order by first word, because I'm too lazy to reorder the listing from my ~/Music directory). In some cases, you have my permission to gape at the fact it took me so long:
As the links make clear, all of these have albums available on Emusic, though not all of these were Emusic discoveries: I found a couple of Bruce Cockburn albums in a charity shop (£2 each!), and my wife bought me John Prine's latest album last Christmas*, to my initial bemusement, but rapid delight. (* OK, so "last Christmas" is not technically in 2006. Sue me.)

Incidentally, should anything on this list make you decide you finally want to join Emusic (what kept you?), then do please drop me a line or leave a comment, and I'll send you an invite, which should mean I get some free downloads myself. Look, I've got 26 albums in my "Save for Later" list, so I need all the help I can get...)

Labels: , ,